Tuesday, November 6, 2012

B&W ASW608 sub woofer

The B&W ASW-608 is every bit a sub you want, without the size!

Something so compact never sounded this good!

An elegant 8" woofer may seem a bit wimpy, but despite its small size, it makes a commanding pair even with my B&W 683's

This is a real gem of a speaker especially if you are hard pressed for cash,or space.
This little sub is very worthy of consideration for those who would buy the heavy weight ASW610 in the perfect world, but cant.

Its a sealed enclosure design.

I appreciate there are theories around how the right kind of baffle ports play a big role is bass, but in my experience, a good music oriented sub has almost always been a sealed unit.
The bass is crisp, clean & not hollow.

I dont like speakers that just vibrate under the pretext of deep bass.

Best for:

Hi-fi music is what this little baby was made for, & with the intention of pairing your 685 or 686 class bookshelf. It does that job better than you might imagine, please do audition it.
In my opinion, it suits the 684 & 683 just as well.

The sound between 50-80Hz is rich & deep.
I would highly recommend this sub even to those considering a velodyne sub or people who own a different brand of main speakers.

The B&W manual suggests placement on one side of the centre speaker, just before the front, for best music performance. But in my personal opinion, it sounds much better in the corner.
Given the fact that there is no bass port, it may be the reason the bass sounds better in the corner.

Some disadvantages, though minor:


As expected, the 8" cone is not designed to be delivering sub 30hz bass at its peek & will sometimes rumble a bit rather than being clean.

The mid bass is fast to a point that the enclosure creeks a bit. It gives the impression of being so tight that something is pulling it aggressively, sometimes this makes the bass sound like it ended abruptly.
This is a complaint I also have from the mid bass of my much loved B&W 683s.

The unit gets very hot rather fast even though I use it at only 30% volume. Not a safety issue as its within operating temperatures & wont burn you, but its something that could be improved.


2 of the readers have had their amps blown within unreasonable time, as per their comments below, which is not very good given the asw 608 though entry level is not a 'cheap & crappy' brand. One would expect it to last longer.

It is also not fair to warrant the electronics for lesser amount of time then the speaker driver.

B&W should look into this, & consumers should be aware of this before they buy an asw 608 sub woofer.


Do you own a ASW608? What are your thoughts on its performance, what do you pair it with?

18 comments:

  1. I purchased this subwoofer 4.5 years ago and now the amplifier has gone bad for no reason. The warranty is 3 yrs on it and 5 years on the panel so I am out of luck. cost to repair is a whopping $320. I paid $500 so I am very disappointed in B&W. Why pay high end if you only get 4.5 years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats not good from a b&w product. Im trying to see if its any realtion around the new ones being made in china, is your sub made in China?

      Delete
  2. That is very disappointing, I agree with you the speaker should last for longer than that. Over here in NZ B&W promise a 5 year warranty, but not sure they have it for a different length of time for the panel vs the driver. Where abouts are you located? B&W over here sometimes fix things if theve just run out of warranty, have you asked the distributer directly by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The amp in my 608 just went out also. :( I'm going to test the fuse on the outside and maybe take it to a place to get the inside looked at, if I can find one in Utah. It's about 6 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats very disappointing for a b&w producr. Just trying to co-relate, is your sub made in China?

      Delete
  4. Hey this looks like a real concern then. Youd expect products from a company like b&w to last much longer. At least for you it was 6 years which isnt too bad for an extry level sub, but still not acceptable. I suspect this might be because their new 6 series speakers are made in China, is yours from there? If that is the case, one can only wait to see how the 68x series speakers turn out in a few years time!

    B&W, if you're reading this, you have a real issue to resolve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This broken 608 guy from above...I don't know about the China deal, I assumed my unit was English, I'll look on it tho.

    Rest of my story: I just wanted the darned thing to work, so I'm taking the easy (read: expensive) way out and replacing the amp board DIY style.

    I called B&W tech support in North Reading, MA. (978)-664-2870 and they are sending me a new amp board +2 fuses (mine tested fine BTW), all for only $241 postage paid, with a PDF of how to replace the board with very clear pictures.

    I paid $400 for original unit used, so for only $641 total I have new sub-yippeee I'm stupid! I figure It's cheaper than buying a new one at this point and I've been using this for 6 months...but I still think it's a hellava sub. 90 days warranty on the new amp board according to B&W, so I'll be putting it thru some demanding "auditions" once I git r done.

    I think the real moral of the story is that if you're going to sink more than $300 or $400 into any component you should be getting a warranty with it, and the only way to do that on B&W items is buying [retail price] from a dealer; B&W warranties do not transfer.

    Story of my life: I try some F'd up shortcut and end up paying more in the long run.

    BTW I have a B&W ASW610 (purchased via a dealer) and it stomps my world all to bits with it's massive bass output. There are a few of these on eBay for around $500.

    I'll report on the amp board swap once it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back, same dude with the broken 608...

    Got the new amp board from B&W and installed it in less than 20 minutes, thanks in great part to their excellent instructions and excellent design. Powered the sub up and it is now part of the upstairs (TV) viewing salon. I did look on the back and it indeed was assembled in China, but I don't think that has anything to do with it failing.

    Interestingly enough the old board had a visibly fried transistor near one edge; the green circuit board was very dark and somewhat brittle neat the transistor in question, I think that was the failure. Not any differences in design of the new board vs the old one, but some of the components are different, I suspect due to updating suppliers. (But I am NOT very savvy on this stuff and it may be completely diff., I just can't tell)

    So this is my last post and I wish you all good luck and happy listening. I hope my posts help others.

    Cheers from the Rocky Mountains of USA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to know! And thanks for your post, itll definitely help some other with the issue & thats the whole idea of this blog. I agree its possibly more to do with the inherent design than with the component being made in China, but the thought always crosses my mind when I see the Chinese label. From what I understand, many hi-current amps have transistors which are given a higher than design level voltage (over-voltage) to make them perform at peak output efficieny, which comes at the cost of excessive heating. They put heat sinks to deal with it, but looks like that alone might not have worked for these 608s...
      Any of you folks from an electronics background like to enlighten me please...

      Delete
    2. Hi,

      I also have fried amp of my ASW608. Not good reference for B&W. Trying to fix this without buying new board for almost 400$.
      If some one has service manual, it would mean a lot.
      zeivzeiv@gmail.com

      Delete
  7. All B&W products at Best Buy are made in China. I've been told this doesn't affect their sonic or build quality for passive speakers, however it does appear to have taken a hit on stuff that is B&W amplified like their ipod docks and subwoofers. I've owned a B&W PV1 which isn't a Best Buy product but has functioned flawlessly and still made in China however, so who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, thanks for your input. Lets hope yours continues to be flawless. PV1 is a nice sub, & pricy enough to hurt a fair bit if it goes bunk... :p

      Delete
  8. Could'nt agree more. had mine for 6 months and was very pleased. However, until the other day it went bang.
    So dis
    apointed...
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow what a shame, so Tom was yours just 6 months old?! I reckon B&W need to make a 609 & fix the amp getting so hot, because the way I see it from an old fashioned approach, things that run hot blow up faster, plain & simple...

      Delete
  9. Hi, I just wanted to share my experience with the ASW608. Mine died for no reason on Christmas Eve. It stopped powering on, no status light showed on the back. I did a little research, and found that amp board failure is a common problem with these units. I braced for a heavy repair bill and contacted my dealer; London Audio in London Ontario. He said that he has seen it happen before, and that B&W has acknowledged the problem as well. B&W apparently sent them a bunch of modified amp boards and power supplies, and they were able to fix my sub for me FREE of charge while I waited about 15 minutes. My sub is 4 years old, making it two years out of warranty. I am very pleased with this result, and happy that B&W have mitigated this problem. Hopefully anyone with this same issue can have it resolved the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thanks for letting us know. Glad to know B&W have done something about it. The problem still persists for those who buy used, as B&W dont transfer warranties, so those folks looking to buy used should be mindful of this sub once its goes past a couple years. If it blows & youre not the original owner, I reckon B&W wont replace the board for free.

      Delete
  10. The Board is an ICE class D amp. I just had to pay B&W $200.00+ for a new board...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just bought an ASW608 in Jan 2017.Same issue,not powering on and no status light and now have to send it to Kentucky for repair. It seems they should have corrected this known issue by now instead of continuing to sell units that are prone to failure

    ReplyDelete

Please share your experiences, thoughts, comments or any feedback you may have. Thanks